Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Roadways: Capitol Reef's Scenic Drive

Scenic Drive, Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Canon PowerShot SD770 IS, 1/500s, f/2.8, ISO: 80
Capitol Reef is probably the least well-known of Utah's national parks, and I'm both surprised and a little awed by that fact.  I've also been to Zion and Bryce Canyon, and of the three I'd have to say Capitol Reef was my favorite.  That makes me wonder what Canyonlands and Arches have in store for me on some future visits, because I think they're both more popular destinations than Capitol Reef, and if so they must be truly spectacular.  Zion and Bryce Canyon were pretty amazing also, I just didn't spend much time in Zion and Bryce was a bit too crowded for my liking.  It's easy to get away from the crowds in Capitol Reef, though (a lot like Death Valley in that regard) , and the views are unforgettable.

I spent a single night at Capitol Reef a couple of years ago.  I arrived in the early afternoon, snagged the last available camping spot, then spent the rest of the daylight hours seeing as much of the park as I could.  If I knew then what I know now I'd have spent an extra night at Capitol Reef and cut my time at Bryce Canyon shorter.  Well, then again I had some cool adventures at Bryce, so maybe not.

I kind of think all of Southern Utah should be one big park.  That place is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment