Sunday, December 21, 2014

Botta's Pocket Gopher

Botta's Pocket Gopher -- Martin Luther King, Jr. Regional Shoreline, Oakland, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF-S 55-250mm Zoom Lens, 1/500s, f/5.6, ISO:800
A large population of California ground squirrels live at the MLK Shoreline in Oakland.  They aren't the only burrowers there, though.  I was taking pictures on Friday and noticed movement on the ground to the left.  I turned and saw this little guy shoving dirt out of its hole.  I'm sure it would be safe to say that in my life I've seen thousands of gopher holes, but until this year I'd never actually seen a gopher.  I saw the first at Golden Gate Park in the Spring, then I saw this one.  Two in one year?  Crazy.  This one hung out for a while and listened to my Caddyshack quotes with an air of great patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment