Sunday, March 6, 2016

Backlit Hare

Black-tailed Jackrabbit -- Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, f/5.6, 1/1600s, ISO: 800
How often do you get a chance to take photos of a jackrabbit running straight toward you?

I can tell you how often it has happened for me.  I began shooting wildlife about four years ago.  I've photographed more jackrabbits than I can count.  I've got plenty of shots of them sitting in the grass.  I've got plenty of shots of their butts as they run away from me.  A week ago I had a first.  This hare didn't run away from me, instead he ran straight toward the car.  He ran straight toward the car while Pongo was hanging out the driver side window watching him!  I was able to take the best shots of a jackrabbit I've ever taken in spite of the fact that the sun was behind the hare.

Pongo didn't bark or try to jump out the window (I keep him on a long leash tied to a chair in the car just in case).  I've seen him confused before when wild animals have directly approached us.  I'm not sure if he was confused or just excited, but he bounced around a bit without losing his head and leaping after the jackrabbit.  He did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment