Friday, February 6, 2015

A Mighty Sequoia

Sequoia -- Mariposa Grove. Yosemite National Park, CA
Canon PowerShot SD 770 IS, 1/320s, f2.8, ISO:80
This is one of my first attempts at capturing one of the giant sequoia trees of the Sierra Nevada mountains.  I was just discovering how difficult that task can be.  Capturing the full tree or at least most of it is hard because you've got to shoot from far away.  Getting in close generally leaves you with either shooting straight up or shooting just the base of the tree.  Both of these types of shots can be interesting and each has its drawbacks.  One of the things that's nice about the forests where you'll find the sequoias is that they're somewhat sparse, which often allows for a spot where most of the tree can be captured in a photo.  Coastal redwoods are generally in more dense forests, so photographing the entire tree often isn't even an option.

I think this was an OK early attempt.  I could do without the tree in the immediate foreground.  I wasn't paying much attention to that kind of thing back then.  It seems a bit overexposed, but I didn't have any control of that with my little pocket camera, especially with a shot like this where I couldn't tease it into a different exposure setting by angling the camera up or down.

Inspired by Geogypsy's Foto Friday Fun 97, photo #2799,

2 comments:

  1. Nice shot. It's not easy to capture trees this large. I usually take panoramas to do it. Thanks for linking in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I like your panoramas. I've never tried one, I'll have to give it a go next time.

    ReplyDelete