Friday, February 27, 2015

The President

The President -- Sequoia National Park, CA
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS, 1/30s, f/4, ISO: 200
If I had to pick one tree that I've seen as the coolest tree ever, there's a pretty good chance this would be the one.  The President is a massive sequoia in Sequoia National Park.  The General Sherman is the largest known tree based on trunk volume, but there is speculation that the President is possibly larger than the General Sherman based on overall volume, which includes the whole kit and kaboodle, including branches and needles.  That's not what makes it so awesome, though, I only read that thing about its volume recently.  My favorite sequoias are downright gnarly in their upper halves.  The Grizzly Giant in Yosemite is a great example, but the President might be the ultimate gnarly sequoia.  Of course, I don't have any pictures of the top half of the President.  I guess I had to leave myself a reason to go back.

Inspired by Geogypsy's Foto Friday Fun 100, photo #4234.

No comments:

Post a Comment