Saturday, December 13, 2014

Surf Scoter

Surf Scoter -- Arrowhead Marsh, Oakland, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T51, 1/250s, f/6.3, ISO: 200
Surf Scoters are common near my house in winter.  They spend their time in the estuary about a block from my house.  I took this picture a few days ago at Arrowhead Marsh, which is near the Oakland Airport.  There are often a lot of birds there.  It's not too often I get a shot of a scoter swimming toward me.  Usually they swim away, but this time I sat down in an area where I wouldn't be conspicuous against the skyline and eventually a number of scoters and scaups returned to the area they'd been feeding directly in front of me.  I like the look on this guy's face, he seems quite determined about something.  I'm not sure what, exactly.



No comments:

Post a Comment