Friday, December 12, 2014

Tule Elk

Tule Elk -- Point Reyes National Seashore, CA
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS, 1/320s. f/4.5, ISO: 125
One of my favorite hikes close to home is out to Tomales Point at Point Reyes.  The trail is four and a half miles one way from the parking lot to the point.  The entire trail runs through a tule elk reserve.  Close encounters with these fantastic animals are almost guaranteed.

I photographed these elk shortly after the government shutdown ended last fall.  I remember because the shutdown forced me to put off my visit and by the time I made it the harems had pretty much sorted themselves out.

It's not only elk out on the point.  There are plenty of deer and birds as well.  On my last visit we had a coyote pass us on the trail, coming within a few feet of us and not even giving us a nod.

Photo selection inspired by Geogypsy's Foto Friday Fun page, photo #4852.

2 comments:

  1. How nice to live close to Point Reyes and get to see these elk up close. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete