Friday, January 16, 2015

Capitol Reef

Capitol Reef  National Park, UT
Canon PowerShot SX40, 1/640s, f/4, ISO:200
I made a trip to Utah in the fall of 2013.  I followed on the heels of a very large storm that had caused extensive flooding in the neighboring state of Colorado and had dumped a lot of water on Utah and Nevada as well.  The ground was still saturated in a lot of places when I arrived at Capitol Reef, and the rivers and creeks were running high.  The water brought out a lot of dark tones in the rocks, which can be seen a little in this photo.  It turned out to be a very nice time for taking pictures.

Capitol Reef was something of an afterthought for me.  My main destination on that trip was Bryce Canyon.  I'd been hoping to hit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon as well, but I wasn't able to reserve a camp site and they don't have unreserved spots on that side of the canyon, so I altered my plans and visited Capitol Reef instead.  I have no regrets about that.  I still want to visit the North Rim, but Capitol Reef was an absolute revelation and I hope to visit the park again soon.  I only spent an afternoon and a night there, I have a whole lot more I want to see.

Photo selection inspired by Geogypsy's Photo Friday Fun 94, Image #888.

No comments:

Post a Comment