Thursday, January 1, 2015

Into the Future

Bald Eagle -- Coos Bay, OR
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 1/1600s, f/5.6, ISO:1600
I'm kicking off this year with one of my favorite pictures from last year.  I saw this eagle while driving up 101 to Olympic National Park this fall.  This is one of two bald eagles I saw near Coos Bay, the other flew right over my head and out to sea at Cape Arago.

I grew up in Oregon in the seventies and eighties.  We never saw bald eagles when I was a kid.  I don't mean we rarely saw them, I mean we never saw a single bald eagle in all those years, and we spent a lot of time in places where they are commonly seen today.  The birds have made an amazing recovery.  I saw twenty eagles on that trip to the Olympic Peninsula, including two in California.

There is hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment