Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Tule Reeds

San Luis National Wildlife Refuge, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF-S 55-250mm IS II, 1/1600s, f/5, ISO: 200
I suspect the beauty of this photo may be lost on a lot of people.  The colors, after all, are drab at best.  It was overcast, which kind of put an exclamation point on that drabness.  It's got a little bit of color with the water and the ducks (I love ducks) but not enough to negate the gray light and the pale reeds.  I love these reeds and what they represent.  They are a connection to this region's past.  The Native Americans wove these reeds into all sorts of things.  Boats, mats, shelter, baskets, pretty much everything they needed could be made from this stuff.  Seeing these vast fields reeds reminds me of this corner of the country's deep past.  Plus, I just like the way they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment