Friday, May 8, 2015

Burrowing Owl

Burrowing Owl -- Martin Luther King, Jr. Regional Shoreline, Oakland, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II, 1/2000s, f/5.6, ISO: 1600
Four burrowing owl dens have been built near Arrowhead Marsh in hopes of attracting these cute little owls to the area.  Last year an owl was a fairly common morning sight for a couple of months.  This year I've only seen an owl a couple of times.  I've never seen multiple owls.  I hope the place becomes popular with the little owls, but I'll be surprised if that happens.  I think the dens are too close to the road and the last time I saw an own here it barely escaped being carried off by cooper's hawk.  Hawks and harriers are common in winter, which is when the owls are visible.  I've heard that the owls used to be seen on the lawn area but I've never witnessed that.

Photo selection inspired by Geogypsy's Foto Friday Fun 110, image #1688.




No comments:

Post a Comment