Saturday, May 30, 2015

Traveling Companions

Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, 1/80s, f/9, ISO: 100
This photo popped up as the wallpaper on my computer the other day, and as I looked at it I came understand it as being somewhat profound.  If you've followed my blogs you've seen pictures of all three of these individuals with little reference to who they are.  This is probably the only picture I have of all three of them together.  These are my traveling companions.

On the left is Jim.  I've known him for thirty years.  We met in college.  We've done a couple of road trips together in the last three years with a big one coming up in about a month.  Our first trip three years ago kindled my interest in the outdoors and photography.  Up until that point, I'd only ever visited a single national park, and that was only by driving through Redwood National Park on 101 on my way to Oregon.  On that first road trip we visited the Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and I was hooked.  I've now been to sixteen national parks and I'll be adding to that total soon.  Jim will be there.

My son Sam is on the right.  He's been accompanying me on trips up and down the coast since he was an infant.  He's also joined me on trips to Yosemite, Point Reyes and the Grand Canyon.  I love traveling with Sam.  He's quiet and patient and open to adventure.

Pongo is my most regular companion.  He doesn't accompany me all of the time, but if I'm going someplace where dogs are allowed I take him.  Pongo loves seeing wildlife.  He's excited and occasionally intimidated by elk, deer and cattle.  He's not sure what to do with deer.  If a deer approaches us he hides behind me, but if a deer runs away he wants to take chase.  Rabbits, raccoon, squirrels, ducks, lizards and quail are all meant for chasing in his book.  We stumbled onto a white rat someone had dumped on a trail once.  Pongo was very upset with the rat when it didn't run away when he charged it.  He barked and barked until the rat scampered off.  Poor rat didn't know the rules.

Pongo is a mama's boy.  He's my wife's dog at home and mine on the road.  My wife rarely travels with me.  She prefers to stay at home with our other two dogs running her dog rescue organization.  Maybe someday she'll be in one of these pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment