Sunday, May 24, 2015

Not a Bear

Cow -- Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
Canon SX40 HS
Before heading down this trail at Bryce Canyon a couple of years ago I had noticed a warning at the Visitor's Center that a bear had been seen in this area.  On the trail I saw what looked like a bear track (front paw) in the mud on the trail.  The trail led down to the rim of the amphitheater and was rather secluded.  I think I passed one set of hikers the entire two plus hours I was out there.

After taking a bunch of pictures I turned and saw a flash of brown on the hillside.  The bear!  I panicked.  My back was to the cliff there so was nowhere for me to run except toward the bear.  A few seconds were just a blur as I looked for a way out.  Then I looked back up the hill again.  It wasn't a bear at all, it was this cow.  Phew.

She looked like a real sweetie, even after coming down to walk the same trail I was walking.  I gave her a wide berth anyway as I passed her.

I never did see that bear.


No comments:

Post a Comment