Sunday, January 24, 2016

Duck Week: Bufflehead

Male Bufflehead -- Martin Luther King, Jr. Regional Shoreline, Oakland, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, f/5.6, 1/1600s, ISO: 320
Yesterday I posted a picture of Salem, Oregon's duck crossing sign.  I realize I haven't done a theme in a while and I've just come home from shooting a bunch of bird photos so why not use that duck crossing sign as a kick off for a week of duck photos?

That's what I'm going to do.

Today's duck is the bufflehead.  I'd say that buffleheads are one of my favorite ducks but I'm sure I'd be saying that about all of this week's ducks.  I like ducks.

Buffleheads are common in California during the winter.  They disappear up North during the summer.  The most common photographic pose of a bufflehead for me is the one above.  They don't tend to stick around whenever I get them within shooting range.  I've got a lot of photos of buffleheads showing me their tail feathers.

Female Bufflehead -- Oakland/Alameda Estuary, Alameda, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, f/5.6, 1/1600s, ISO: 800

No comments:

Post a Comment