Monday, January 25, 2016

Duck Week: Goldeneyes


Barrow's Goldeneye -- Oakland/Alameda Estuary, Alameda, CA
Canon Powershot SX40 HS
There are two types of goldeneye ducks that can be found in our area.  The less common of the two is the barrow's goldeneye.  This photo was from two winters ago.  I haven't see any since then.  That was a great year for birds in the estuary near my house.  Scores of surf scoters and dozens of scaup and goldeneye could be seen on any given day during the winter.  This year I might see a few scoters and a couple of scaup if I'm lucky.

Female Common Goldeneye -- Oakland/Alameda Estuary, Alameda, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, f/5.6, 1/2000s, ISO: 800
I saw a lady goldeneye in the estuary on Sunday.  She was a common goldeneye swimming alone.  The easiest way to tell the female common goldeneye apart from the female barrow's goldeneye is by the color of their beaks.  With the males, it's the color of their heads and the shape of their white spots.  They're both beautiful birds but I'm a little partial to the barrow's variety.  I sure wish they'd come around more.

Male Common Goldeneye -- Martin Luther King, Jr. Regional Shoreline, Oakland, CA
Canon EOS Rebel T5i, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, f/5.6, 1/2000s, ISO: 500

No comments:

Post a Comment